5. Floor Conditions. The surrounding work area presents several potential forklift dangers. Debris, puddles, unstable ground and other floor obstructions can cause falls or overturns if not immediately taken into account.
What is the risk of forklift?
Forklift trucks sometimes overturn due to overload, incorrect load positioning, driving and operating errors, or poor maintenance. This put their operators at a life-threatening risk. Operators of forklift trucks may suffer serious traumas when the load falls from the truck, or stacked load collapses, etc.
What is the most dangerous part of operating a forklift?
One of the Most Dangerous Areas of Your Workplace
LUEZ is the area directly beneath the extended forks on a forklift or other equipment that is used to lift materials to shelves or other heights. And it’s one of the most dangerous places in any warehouse, dock, or other materials handling operation.
What areas of a forklift can cause injuries?
NIOSH states that the three most common types of injuries occur when: A forklift overturns; workers are struck, crushed, or pinned by a forklift; and workers fall from a forklift. With proper education and guidance from employers, the following accidents could have been prevented.
What are the 4 main causes of injuries when using forklifts?
4 Common Causes of Forklift Operator Injury or Death
- Lift trucks are inadvertently driven off loading docks.
- Lifts fall between docks and an unsecured trailer while a worker in onboard.
- Workers (or pedestrians) can be struck by a lift truck.
- Trucks may fall while on elevated pallets and tines.
Can you carry passengers in your forklift?
Forklifts must be properly maintained.
Forklift operators are not permitted to carry passengers on forklifts. Travel in a forward direction when not carrying a load. … No person is to travel or be lifted on the tines of a forklift and do not drive with tines raised too high.
What are 2 guards fitted to a forklift?
It’s vital to keep your whole body within the bounds of the forklift and under the overhead guard. The overhead guard is intended for protection while an operator is within the confines of the seat.
What is the most important safety device on a forklift?
5 most important safety devices on a forklift
- Brakes. Brakes are the absolute most important safety feature on any motorized vehicle. …
- Seatbelts. …
- Overhead guards. …
- Lights. …
How far away from a moving forklift should you stay?
Falling distance of an object from a pallet or 15 feet, 5 Feet both sides, 5 Feet Rear of Forklift. do so (ALL CLEAR). Do not pass under the forks while in operation. in operation and a fix object.
Can a forklift kill you?
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, nearly 100 workers are killed and another 20,000 are seriously injured in forklift-related incidents annually. Statistically, that means one of every ten forklifts in the US will be involved in an accident every year.
What are 2 main causes of injuries when using forklifts?
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says many workers are also injured when:
- Forklifts are inadvertently driven off loading docks.
- Forklifts fall between docks and unsecured trailers.
- Workers are struck by forklifts.
- Workers fall from elevated pallets and/or the platform of a forklift.
What is considered a forklift accident?
17 Sep The Most Common Forklift Accidents:
Now, the most common types of a forklift accident are when one overturns, when a worker is stuck, pinned-beneath, or crushed by a forklift, or when a worker falls from a forklift. An overturning forklift is a terrifying scenario.