NIOSH states that the three most common types of injuries occur when: A forklift overturns; workers are struck, crushed, or pinned by a forklift; and workers fall from a forklift. With proper education and guidance from employers, the following accidents could have been prevented.
What are the 4 main causes of injuries when using forklifts?
4 Common Causes of Forklift Operator Injury or Death
- Lift trucks are inadvertently driven off loading docks.
- Lifts fall between docks and an unsecured trailer while a worker in onboard.
- Workers (or pedestrians) can be struck by a lift truck.
- Trucks may fall while on elevated pallets and tines.
What is the most common cause of forklift truck accidents?
One of the most common causes of forklift accidents is the behaviour of the person operating the machinery. The type of conduct that can lead to problems can include: Forklift operators failing to communicate with other people working in the same area, meaning they can end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Which of the following areas on a forklift can cause injuries?
Here are the most common injuries associated with the use of forklifts.
- Falling off the forklift. Riding on a forklift with a full load is a dangerous thing. …
- Crushing a person. …
- Falling objects striking pedestrians. …
- Running over debris. …
- Running into a pedestrian.
What are 2 main causes of injuries when using forklifts?
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says many workers are also injured when:
- Forklifts are inadvertently driven off loading docks.
- Forklifts fall between docks and unsecured trailers.
- Workers are struck by forklifts.
- Workers fall from elevated pallets and/or the platform of a forklift.
How common are forklift accidents?
Forklift accidents that result in serious injury total 34,900 annually. Non-serious injuries related to forklift accidents reach 61,800 each year. A forklift overturning is the most common incident, accounting for 24% of all forklift accidents.
What is the number 1 cause of lift truck accidents?
However, the statistics show that the greatest hazard is being crushed when the forklift tips over. According to OSHA in the United States, 70% of forklift accidents could have been avoided with standardized training and safety procedures.
What happens if you hit someone with a forklift?
If a forklift accident occurred due to the negligence of the forklift operator, the operator could be held liable for any damages to an injured party as a result. Failing to follow proper safety protocol or operating the forklift while under the influence are two examples of forklift operator negligence.
How can I pass my forklift driving test?
10 Points You Need to Observe When Taking Forklift Practical Test
- Apply General Safety. …
- Signaling When Turning. …
- Slowing Down At Intersection. …
- Keeping Clear View. …
- Maneuvering and Traveling with Load. …
- Unloading. …
- Placing of Loads in Proper Places. …
- Safe Parking.
What can you not do with a forklift?
Forklift operators should never:
- Raise or lower loads while the forklift is moving and especially not while turning because it makes the forklift very unstable. …
- Allow anyone to stand underneath or right next to raised forks. …
- Carry a load with only one fork as it stresses the carriage.
What is a pinch point on a forklift?
Explanation: A pinch point in this situation is an area or part of the forklift where an employee may be injured “pinched”. The seat ,the cowl and the mast can be danagerous if precautions aren’t taken to avoid injury.