According to OSHA, a forklift is considered unattended when its operator is 25 feet or more away from it and it remains in the operator’s view or when he leaves the truck and it is now in his view.
Can you leave a forklift running unattended?
Never leave an operating forklift unattended.
In fact, leaving keys in an unattended forklift (or, thus, leaving on the ignition of this vehicle) is illegal, and has dire consequences as a safety hazard, even without the actual occurrence of an accident. Know and never exceed the lifting capacity of the forklift.
When you leave your forklift you need to shut the engine off if?
If the operator goes 25 feet or more away from the truck, or is out of sight of the truck, the engine must be shut off, and the operator must have the key in his or her possession. Visibility: The operator must always have a clear view of the path in the direction of travel.
What should you do before leaving a forklift truck?
Remove the ignition/starter switch key when you leave the forklift truck. Ensure the controls are in neutral, the power is shut off, the park brakes are applied and the forks fully lowered. Never park or leave the forklift in any doorway, entrance, emergency exit or in front of fire extinguishing equipment.
What do you do every time you park a forklift?
Parking Safety Rules
- Always try to find a level surface to park on. …
- Lower forks, or the forklift attachment, all the way to the ground. …
- Put the gear into neutral.
- Make sure the wheels are straight. …
- Set the parking brake every time you park the forklift. …
- Turn off the engine before dismounting the forklift.
Is it illegal to leave keys in a forklift?
You might not be aware but it is actually illegal to leave the keys in an unattended Forklift. This measure is to prevent unauthorised use of the Forklift. … All forklifts and plant equipment can be fitted with low cost Driver Identification systems which prevent unauthorised usage.
What can you not do with a forklift?
Forklift operators should never:
- Raise or lower loads while the forklift is moving and especially not while turning because it makes the forklift very unstable. …
- Allow anyone to stand underneath or right next to raised forks. …
- Carry a load with only one fork as it stresses the carriage.
What are 3 fluid levels that need to be checked before using the forklift?
Check of liquid Levels:
- Hydraulic fluid.
- Brake fluid.
- Engine oil coolant.